Thursday, November 16, 2023

A Song of Love and Faith

 "The  Lord  is  my  shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul:" Psalm 23 1-6

       Your  mother  taught  you  many  things  that  you  did  not understand  at  the  time.  The  twenty-third  Psalm  was among  them.  You  liked  the  swing  of  "The  Lord's  my Shepherd,"  and  every  verse  of  it  made  a  picture  in  your mind,  but  you  did  not  think  about  its  meaning.  You could  not,  however,  help  having  some  thoughts  of  your own  about  the  first  verse.
       The  twenty-third  Psalm  is  one  of  the  first  memory lessons  given  to  a  boy  or  girl.  The  reason  is  because it  is  so  simple  and  beautiful.  And  somehow  one  never forgets  the  words  of  it.  There  are  old  people  who seem  to  have  forgotten  everything  they  ever  learned, but  if  anyone  starts  this  old  psalm  they  will  finish  it just  like  a  Sunday-school  scholar.  
       Like  many  simple  things  the  twenty-third  Psalm  is full  of  meaning.  What  is  better,  it comes  straight from  the  heart  of  the  writer,  and  he  never  says  more than  he  feels.  Great  singers  or  poets  have  a  way  of writing  songs  that  make  plain,  simple  folk  discover  the same  feelings  within  themselves.
       The  poet  Burns  did  this. His  gift  of  song  came from  Grod,  and  all  the  time  it  was  just  as  if  he  remembered things  that  had  happened  to  him,  and  wrote down  his  thoughts.  Once,  when  ploughing  a  field,  he frightened  a  little  field  mouse.  Burns  was  very  tenderhearted. When  he  went  home  at  night  that  tiny creature,  quivering  with  fright  in  his  hand  and  looking at  him  with  its  keen  black  eyes,  was  always  in  his  mind. So  he  sat  down  and  wrote  what  is  one  of  the  finest  of his  short  poems,  and  it  is  all  about  this  little  mouse.
       Burns  was  a  ploughman.  When  King  David  was  a young  lad  he  was  a  shepherd.  A shepherd's  life  was for  him  a  glorious  life,  for  he  was  strong  then,  and  he was  lithe  like  those  of  you  who  are  in  training  for  the school  sports.  David  could  leap  from  rock  to  rock,  with feet  that  were,  as  he  himself  said,  "like  hinds'  feet."
       You  must  not  think  of  David  as  being  like  the shepherds  you  see  in  this  country.  As  his  father's shepherd  in  the  fields  of  Judaea,  he  walked  before  his sheep,  they  followed  him,  and  the  dogs  brought  up  the rear.  Eastern  sheep  are  very  tame;  they  follow  their keeper  just  as  a  house  dog  follows  his  master.  The shepherd  leads  them  where  he  pleases.  That  is generally  to  some  place  where  they  can  find  green grass  and  clear  water.  Then  he  is  constantly  having to  protect  them  from  danger.  Often  the  path  lies  down the  side  of  some  ravine  where  a  single  slip  of  the  feet would  mean  death.  There  are  dangers,  too,  from  robbers and  wild  beasts.  You  know  the  story  of  how  David  killed both  a  lion  and  a  bear.  To  the  brave  young  shepherd, that  must  have  been,  as  we  say,  "great  sport."
       But  David  was  thoughtful  all  the  time.  Long  afterwards those  happy  days  came  back  to  his  mind.  They brought  thoughts  that  he  felt  he  must  write  down;  they were  about  God,  and  that  is  how  we  have  "The  Lord's my  Shepherd."  From  beginning  to  end  the  twenty-third  Psalm  is  full  of  the  pictures  you  know  so  well. "I  cared  for  my  sheep;  God  will  care  for  me;  He  will
lead  me  to  the  green  pastures  beside  the  still  waters. If  I  keep  near  Him  He  will  help  me  to  do  the  right thing."  With  God  as  the  Great  Shepherd,  David  felt safe,  not  only  for  this  life  but  "forever."
       The  songs  of  Burns  were  mostly  about  human  love. This  great  song  of  David's  is  a  song  about  the  love  of God:  and  not  only  that,  it  is  a  song  of  faith.  Faith,  as you  know,  is  just  trust.  You  are  old  enough  to  be saying  to  yourselves,  "I  wonder  what  sort  of  life  I shall  have  when  I  grow  up."  David  had  his  answer -

Goodness  and  mercy  all  my  life
Shall  surely  follow  me:
And  in  God's  house  for  evermore
My  dwelling-place  shall  be.

He  was  sure  about  it  because  he  had  known  God  as  his Friend  for  a  long  time.  His  life  had  been  a  story  of doing  wrong,  confessing  his  fault,  and  being  forgiven.  So it  seemed  to  him  when  he  looked  back.  What  could  he say  that  was  better  than  "The  Lord  is  my  Shepherd." Hastings

Shepherd,  on  before  thy  sheep.
Hear  thy  lamb  that  bleats  behind!
Scarce  the  track  I  stumbling  keep! 
Through  my  thin  fleece  blows  the  wind!

Turn  and  see  me,  Son  of  Man!
Turn  and  lift  thy  Father's  child;
Scarce  I  walk  where  once  I  ran :
Carry  me - the  wind  is  wild!

Thou  art  strong - thy  strength  wilt  share;
My  poor  weight  thou  wilt  not  feel;
Weakness  made  thee  strong  to  bear,
Suffering  made  thee  strong  to  heal!

I  were  still  a  wandering  sheep
But  for  thee,  O  Shepherd-man!
Following  now,  I  faint,  I  weep.
Yet  I  follow  as  I  can !

Shepherd,  if  I  fall  and  lie
Moaning  in  the  frosty  wind,
Yet,  I  know,  I  shall  not  die -
Thou  wilt  miss  me - and  wilt  find! 
 

The  Poetical  Works  of  George  Macdonald.

No comments:

Post a Comment